Spend an unforgettable day in the Austria’s westernmost province of Vorarlberg on a culinary hike in Bregenzerwald from Warth to Schröcken, where you walk from one meal to the next through rolling alpine pastures.
Along the well-marked route, cows graze in fields knee-deep with alpine flowers and quick-footed marmots scurry through the rocky meadows.
Alpine Breakfast at Hochalphütte
After a short ride up the Steffisalp Express chairlift from Warth, follow the alpine track for about thirty minutes to Hochalphütte for a traditional alpine breakfast. Choose from fresh fruit, homemade preserves, alpine cheeses, and assorted baked goods.
Lunch at Hotel Körbersee
After fueling up on breakfast, continue for another ninety minutes or so to Hotel Körbersee for lunch. Along the way, you can stop at Saloberkopf (2030 m) and take in the panoramic views before descending through a striking limestone landscape. Along this part of the trail, it seems possible that Bilbo Baggins and friends may appear at any time.
Lunch at Hotel Körbersee can be enjoyed outside on a terrace overlooking an alpine lake. From here the views of Braunarlspitze – the highest mountain in Bregenzerwald (2649m) – are impressive.
A Sweet Ending at Hotel Tannberg
On the trail from Hotel Körbersee, you may have the opportunity to visit the Batzenalpe, an alpine museum – it is open Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday afternoon. Here you can learn about life in the early days in Austria’s high mountains.
After descending through the spruce-scented forest, you arrive at Hotel Tannberg in the tiny village of Schröcken just in time for a mid-afternoon treat. Here you can indulge in a delicious dessert on the final stop on the culinary hike in Bregenzerwald.
- Although the approximately 13 km self-guided hike from Warth to Schröcken takes six to seven hours, the actual hiking time is around three hours. There is a 160 m elevation gain from the Steffisalp Express and an elevation loss of 780 m on the descent to Schröcken.
- We hiked as a family and everyone enjoyed the experience. Highlights according to the kids – walking along the trail through the limestone karst area where it felt very ‘Lord of the Rings’, chopping wood into shingles using traditional tools at the Batzenalpe (alpine museum), and all of the delicious food.
- In the summer of 2016, the culinary hike from Warth to Schröcken operates daily (except Wednesday) from July 1st to October 9, 2016. You can book the self-guided culinary hike here.
- The culinary hike begins with a bus ride from Schröcken (parking is available at Hotel Mohnenfluh) to Warth where you take the Steffisalp Express chairlift to the alpine trail. The restaurants require reservations – Hochalphütte +43 (0)55834250 or +43(0)6643991643, Hotel Körbersee +43(0)5519265, Hotel Tannberg +43(0)5519268.
- Contact the Bregenzerwald Tourist Office for more information.
Our recent visit to Vorarlberg, Austria was in collaboration with the Vorarlberg State Tourist Board. Although we were invited to join the culinary hike in Bregenzerwald on a complimentary basis, I would love to repeat the experience on my own. As always, if I don’t enjoy a destination or experience, I won’t recommend it.